Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Something to think about....


As Christian women, we are called to dress modestly, with decency and propriety. (1 Timothy 2:9) So, why is it that this command from God -- this wonderful way to love our brothers (and sisters, by setting an example) in Christ seems to get tossed out the window when we go to the beach? It’s a question I’ve always had swimming around in my mind, something that’s always bothered me. It just didn’t make sense, it didn’t line up. If I wouldn’t be caught dead in a mini-skirt, underwear, or (fill in the blank) at the mall, church, or any other public place, how come it was no big deal to wear it to the beach? Because culture says it’s ok? Well, everyone else is doing it. Christians are doing it, so that must make it okay, right? Not exactly. As my father has said many times through the years, “If everyone jumps off a cliff, are you going to do it, too!?” That one’s a bit extreme, but still the same principle. It’s tempting to follow others and live by their standards, but that’s wrong. Jesus Christ is the standard, and we are called to live by His Word.

 Although this issue has always bothered me, I’ve never questioned it. To be quite honest, I’ve never questioned it because I didn’t want to be the one to change.  My intent here is not to offend or condemn. I simply want to challenge you as my sisters in Christ. After all, isn’t that what living life for Christ together is about? To challenge one another, encourage one another, sharpen one another, and point each other to Christ in order for Him to receive all the glory? I challenge you, my sisters, to think about this, to pray about this, and to study this for yourselves. 

3 comments:

  1. I completely and totally agree with this! and i do feel like you; as though I feel a conviction about it, but it's like "Um, no...I'm not going to be the one to make the first move about this." But, I think God gives each person their own personal convictions for a reason & if He's given both of us these convictions, maybe it is time to take a stand and act on that? Just a thought...
    Also, I just wanted to let you know that you're such an encouragement through your blog and always present the truth. Thank you so much for that. If you have a second to check out/follow my blog as well, it would be much appreciated...but otherwise, keep blogging for Christ & I'll keep reading! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Olivia! If you're interested, I've found a great site for very modest swimwear - it's modestswimming.com I bought the "saparate suit" and I really like it! I might get a few weird looks for wearing it, but I have to keep reminding myself that I need to dress to glorify God, not for my own comfort and satisfaction. I will definitely be checking out your blog :)

    ReplyDelete